Pet care for people in crisis

July 16, 2018

Thanks to Jill McNall, HIV & AIDS Legal Clinic Ontario (HALCO), for assembling this information about pet care for people in crisis:

The Ontario Veterinary Medical Association (OVMA) has a SafePet program:

Volunteer pet foster parents from across the province offer to take in pets that belong to women who are residents of Violence Against Women shelters. Volunteer veterinarians help by being a neutral location where the pet owner can drop off their pet before staying in a Violence Against Women shelter. Pet foster parents pick the pet up after the veterinarian has completed an exam and any needed vaccinations.

The OVMA website includes information about some other programs:

OVMA-affiliated SafePet Programs: 

Link Toronto

SafePet Ottawa

Sheltering Programs not affiliated with OVMA: 

OSPCA Newmarket Area

Kitchener-Waterloo Humane Society

Pet Protect Guelph

And since we are talking about pets, the Farley Foundation can assist with the cost of veterinary care:

The Farley Foundation assists those who are struggling financially to pay for veterinary care for their pets. Pet owners who cannot afford medical care for their sick or injured pet, and who fall into one of the categories below, are encouraged to talk to their veterinarian about the availability of Farley Foundation funding:

  • Seniors receiving the Federal Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS).
  • Disabled individuals receiving the Ontario Disability Support Payment (ODSP) or the Canada Pension Plan Disability Payment (CPP Disability).
  • Women at risk of abuse who are entering a registered Ontario women’s shelter and who are participating in OVMA’s SafePet Program.
  • Individuals receiving assistance through the Ontario Works Program.
  • Supportive housing for seniors, retirement homes or long-term care facilities with live-in pets.