Get legal advice right away. You need legal advice about criminal law and immigration law. Even someone who is a permanent resident can lose their status and be removed from Canada if they are convicted of a crime that is considered "serious." More
It is against the law for a school to refuse to admit a child who is under 18 years of age only because the child or the child's parent or guardian is in Canada without immigration status.The Education Act says:A person who is otherwise entitled to... More
You may be able to get refugee protection in Canada. There are rules about who can make a refugee claim and who can be accepted as a refugee. So you should get advice from a legal clinic or a lawyer who knows refugee law. Get legal advice as soon as... More
This answer is taken from CLEO's On the Radar - July 2013. Appeals to the new Refugee Appeal Division If refugee claimants aren't successful at their hearings, they may be able to appeal to the Refugee Appeal Division of the Immigration and Refugee... More
Please note that this information has been updated as of April, 2016. The following information is taken from CLEO's Refugee Rights website. A refugee claimant who has been found eligible for a hearing, is entitled to health care under the... More
The Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) can apply to the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) for an order that takes away someone's status as a protected person. One type of order that does this is called a "cessation"... More
You may be able to sponsor your family members who are outside Canada to come and live here as permanent residents if: you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and you are 18 years or older. You will have to pay the required fees. And... More
Applying for refugee status in Canada is complicated. This website has only basic information about the refugee hearing process. It is important to try to get legal help. Refugee lawyers know the laws that apply to your case and the rules that must... More
If you made your refugee claim at a port-of-entry, you have 15 days from the date of your eligibility interview to file your completed Basis of Claim (BOC) Form with the Refugee Protection Division (RPD). You must give the original and one copy of... More
If you do not go to your refugee protection hearing, the Board will hold a special hearing. You can find the date of your special hearing on the Notice to Appear for a Hearing that you were given at your eligibility interview. The date will be no... More
Make sure you bring all your original documents with you. Also bring any envelopes in which documents were sent to you. If you have evidence that you did not file before the deadline, bring it to the hearing. You will have to explain why you could... More
CLEO has produced a resource called "Your Refugee Hearing" where you can find a virtual hearing room. In this resource, you can see a drawing of what a typical refugee hearing room looks like, who is likely to be there and each person’s role during... More