Frequently Asked Questions About Openness in Adoption
The purpose of these frequently asked questions (FAQs) is to assist child welfare and legal professionals, as well as private adoption practitioners in achieving a greater understanding and appreciation when it comes to openness in adoption planning. Some of the FAQs are:
- What is "openness" in adoption?
- What are the benefits of openness?
- Should some level of openness (along a continuum) be considered in every adoption?
- What is the difference between an openness agreement and an openness order and when would each arrangement be used?
- What is meant by "best interest of the child" in adoption decisions?