This temp worker was being strangled by a machine. Her co-worker didn’t know how to help

Posted
April 11, 2018
Article Source
Toronto Star

Temporary employment agency worker Amina Diaby was on the job just two weeks when she died in a North York bakery. Her head scarf got sucked into a machine and strangled her -- an industrial accident to which there were apparently no witnesses.

That is what a provincial offences court heard last September when Fiera Foods pleaded guilty for failing to ensure that 23-year-old Diaby's loose clothing was secured around machinery. The company, which was the subject of a Star undercover investigation last year, was fined $300,000 for the offence.

But documents recently obtained by the Star show there was an employee working with Diaby at the time of her death. According to the documents, he did not know how to help her when she became entrapped, and he did not understand how to use the machine's emergency stop buttons.

In a 2017 investigation initiated after Diaby's death, Jennifer Strachan, an investigator for the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, said neither the co-worker, a forklift driver nor a "team lead" who trained Diaby on her first day "pushed either of the two emergency safety stop buttons that were present at that time."

"It was not until the supervisor and mechanic came on scene that the safety stop button was pushed," her investigation notes say.

In the documents obtained under freedom of information laws, Strachan said a "review of the training documents provided do not support that either Amina Diaby or her co-worker ... had received training in the location and use of the emergency safety buttons."

Read more: This temp worker was being strangled by a machine. Her co-worker didn’t know how to help