News & Events
Haitians and Zimbabweans - additional time to apply for permanent residence
Information from the Canadian Council for Refugees: In February 2016, the federal government announced that it is giving an additional six months to Haitians and Zimbabweans to apply for permanent residence in Canada on Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds without risk of removal. Applications must be submitted by August 4, 2016.
Who does this announcement apply to?
Haitians and Zimbabweans who:
- Were in Canada on December 1, 2014 and are still in Canada;
- Are the subject of a removal order (including a conditional removal order) or are out of status;
- Are not inadmissible to Canada on criminality or related grounds, and
- Have never been found ineligible to make a refugee claim.
For the full details, see the criteria.
What does the announcement mean?
People affected by this measure:
- Will not face removal from Canada between now and August 4, 2016.
- Can apply for permanent residence on humanitarian and compassionate grounds (H&C).
- Will not face removal from Canada until after a decision on an H&C application, if the H&C application is submitted by August 4, 2016.