News & Events
Bill C-49 - update and call for action
From a Canadian Council for Refugees message:
Bill C-49 remains at second reading in the House of Commons. It is not clear when the vote on second reading will take place. As you know, the CCR is calling for the bill to be defeated at second reading.
The Bloc QuÃ©bÃ©cois is the only party that is clearly and publicly committed to voting against C-49. The NDP and the Liberals seem to be fully aware that C-49 is a very bad bill, but they are concerned that the Conservatives have successfully won public opinion over to their side.
- Meet with, write, call or email your Member of Parliament.
- Encourage organizations to take a public position against Bill C-49 (including organizations not directly involved with refugees)
- Educate the public about the serious problems in the bill through the media, internet, public fora, etc.
Key strategies for changing public opinion:
- Get out more voices of Canadians of all backgrounds (not just those involved in support to refugees. Let us hear from faith groups, ethnic community organizations, people from the arts or business, professional associations, etc).
- Use messages that are more emotional, less legal (e.g. detaining children is offensive to Canadians; these policies are an insult to all the Canadians through history who came here using boats or smugglers).
Resources relating to Bill C-49 are available on the CCR website.
Organizations can add their name to the list of groups calling for the defeat of Bill C-49 by sending an email to email@example.com.
Was this helpful?