A living will, also sometimes called an "advance health care directive," is a document that says what treatments you do or do not want if you become unable to make or express these choices in the future. In Ontario, health care providers, such as... More
A Power of Attorney is a legal document in which you give another person the power to make certain decisions for you or take certain actions for you. In Ontario, there are two main kinds. One is the Power of Attorney for Personal Care. This lets... More
Your friend has the right to have whichever visitors she chooses. The long-term care home staff must respect her wishes about that, no matter what her daughter or anyone else may tell them. Even if your friend is mentally unable to make health care... More
The home care Bill of Rights says that you have the right to raise concerns or recommend changes. No one is allowed to take any action against you because you complain about a Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) or an agency that provides home care... More
The following answer is taken from the HIV & AIDS Legal Clinic Ontario (HALCO) website: HIV is the Human Immunodeficiency Virus. HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. AIDS is the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. Being... More
Yes. By signing a Form 1, a doctor can have someone sent to a psychiatric hospital where they can be held for up to 72 hours for an assessment. A doctor can sign a Form 1 if he or she: has examined you in the past 7 days, and believes that you need... More
Yes, first your mother can try to get the decision changed by following the CCAC's complaints process. Every CCAC is required by law to have one. Start by asking the case manager for a written explanation of their decision and a copy of the... More
Please note that this information has been updated as of April, 2016. The following information is taken from CLEO's Refugee Rights website. A refugee claimant who has been found eligible for a hearing, is entitled to health care under the... More
This answer is taken from CLEO's On the Radar - June 2013.  Long-term care homes and retirement homes Reporting abuse is mandatory when the victim lives in a long-term care home or a retirement home. (For an explanation of these terms, see CLEO... More