The rules about how you divide your property depend on whether you're married or in a common-law relationship. Married couples usually share the value of their property if they separate or divorce. This is not true for common-law couples, who have... More
The rules about who can stay in your home depend on whether you're married or in a common-law relationship. Generally, only married couples have special rights to stay in their matrimonial home. Legal owner or tenant Since common-law couples cannot... More
The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) is a type of pension plan that most workers and employers contribute to. You earn CPP credits as you work. When you retire or can't work because of a disability, you can apply to get pension payments. This is different... More
A pension is a plan that pays its members after they retire. Sometimes a pension also pays after a member is fired or laid off, becomes disabled, or dies. The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) is a special type of pension. You can apply to divide CPP... More
If you and your partner agree to divide your property and debts, you can put what you've agreed to in a separation agreement. This is a written contract that you and your partner make. Your separation agreement can deal with your assets and debts... More
If you and your partner cannot agree on what happens with your property and debts, with or without the help of lawyers, you have two options. You can ask a family law professional to help you resolve your issues. Or, you can go to court and ask a... More
If you were living in a common-law relationship when your partner died, then what happens to their property depends on whether they had a valid will. A will is a written legal document that says who gets a person's property after that person dies.... More
You may have rights to a share of the home's value or to live in it, but it depends on: which First Nation reserve your spouse lives on the date that you separated, since there is a new federal law that may apply if you, your spouse, and your... More