Get legal advice right away. You need legal advice about criminal law and immigration law. Even someone who is a permanent resident can lose their status and be removed from Canada if they are convicted of a crime that is considered "serious." More
Usually, a child who is involved in a criminal matter still has the right to go to school. Sometimes the court will say the child cannot go to a specific school until the case is over. You can send your child to another school if this happens. In... More
The Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which is part of the Canadian Constitution, sets out your rights. If you are arrested or detained, you must be: ·         told why you have been arrested or detained, ·... More
The following answer is taken from Consumer Identity Theft Kit produced by the Consumer Measures Committee. As soon as you discover the fraud or theft, take the following steps to report it. Call your financial institutions - have them cancel your... More
Yes, there are no crimes so serious that Gladue does not apply. Gladue applies to all crimes in the Criminal Code of Canada. If you are an Aboriginal person, a judge must take your background into account when setting bail or deciding what sentence... More
The following answer is taken from Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, produced by Community Advocacy & Legal Centre. The Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB) is a program funded by the Ontario government to provide compensation to... More
This answer is taken from Guide to Youth Criminal Court in Toronto, produced by Justice for Children and Youth. (Most of the information in Guide to Youth Criminal Court in Toronto applies to all of Ontario, but some referrals are specific to the... More
In most cases, if you are stopped and questioned by the police, you do not have to answer their questions, but it is a good idea to be polite. If the police are thinking about arresting you, they will want to know who you are. There are several... More
Your lawyer must keep what you say private. They can't share what you say with anyone unless you say it's okay. Not even the court, the police, or your parents can make your lawyer tell them what you and your lawyer talk about. This rule exists so... More
An open youth record When your youth record is open, certain people, including you, can see the information that's in your record. Some of the other people who can see the information are your lawyer, your parents, judges, the police, Crown... More
Maybe. You never have the unqualified right to enter another country, including the United States. Some countries won't let you in, even for a visit, if you have a youth record. Travelling outside of Canada is a bit different depending on if your... More
You have the “right to remain silent” and to not make a statement. A statement is anything that you tell the police or someone in authority. You can give a statement by saying it out loud or by putting it in writing. Even if you don't sign anything... More
The police use their judgment to decide what to do. They think about many things, such as the type of crime, your age, and if you've been in trouble with the police or the courts in the past. Your lawyer explains the process and gives you advice... More
The law says that anyone - for example, a teacher, doctor, neighbour, or relative - who suspects that a child is being harmed or at risk of being harmed, must report it to a children's aid society. In fact, for most professionals, it is an offence... More