What do I need to do to get my Record of Employment (ROE) ?

What do I need to do to get my Record of Employment (ROE)?

This answer is taken from "Applying for EI — Changes to the Record of Employment form" produced by Community Advocacy & Legal Centre.

Employers complete Records of Employment (ROEs) for employees receiving insurable earnings who then stop working and experience an interruption of earnings. The ROE is the single most important document in the Employment Insurance (EI) program.

An employer must complete an ROE even if the employee does not intend to apply for EI benefits. On the ROE, the employer enters details about your work history with the organization or workplace, including insurable earnings and insurable hours.

The first thing you should do to get your ROE when you leave your job is to ask your employer for a copy. You should know that the ROE can come in an electronic or paper form. In Ontario, employers are now submitting Records of Employment electronically, so you can access your ROE over the internet.

On March 15, 2011 the Government of Canada made two changes to EI, which affected ROEs. The changes apply only to ROEs your employer submits electronically through Service Canada’s online services, such as ROE Web.

ROE Web allows employers to create, submit, print, and amend ROEs using the internet. If you have an online Service Canada account, it may be more convenient for you because on the same day that the employer posts their ROE online with Service Canada, you can go online and take a look at it for yourself and print off a copy.

Also, if you are trying to apply for EI it should make the process more efficient because Service Canada will already have a copy of your ROE and will not need to wait for you to mail it in or drop it off to them.

If your employer is submitting ROEs electronically, they no longer need to print a paper copy for you. The employer must ensure you are aware that they will be submitting their ROEs to Service Canada electronically. If you want a copy of your ROE and your employer sent it in electronically you should visit the My Service Canada Account page online.

You do not need to submit a copy of your ROE to Service Canada; as they will have already received it from your employer electronically.

But, if your employer is still doing a paper copy of the ROE, you need to request a paper copy, fill out the EI forms and send in all of your paperwork, including the ROE.

To register with My Service Canada Account, you should visit http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/online/mysca.shtml.

If you need assistance you can ask Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) to help by going to your nearest Service Canada Centre at http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/hr-search.cgi?app=hme&ln=eng or by calling 1-800-206-7218.

Resource notes: 

You can also find more information on the Service Canada website's section on Employment Insurance Regular Benefits.

Was this helpful?

Was this helpful?

We cannot respond to your question or comment without your email address. We will not share any information you provide us with anyone.

No need to provide your address but knowing your location will help us serve you better.

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.