Someone has stolen my identity and is using my credit card. What should I do?

Someone has stolen my identity and is using my credit card. What should I do?

The following answer is taken from Consumer Identity Theft Kit produced by the Consumer Measures Committee.

As soon as you discover the fraud or theft, take the following steps to report it.

  • Call your financial institutions - have them cancel your cards and re-issue new ones. If you do not report a lost or stolen card immediately you could be liable for any losses.
  • Contact your local police. If a report is filed, be sure to include the police report number they give you in all correspondence you have relating to the theft.
  • Contact Canada's main credit reporting agencies:
    Trans Union Canada at  
    Equifax Canada at     
  • Ask each agency to send you a copy of your credit report, and discuss with them whether you should have a fraud alert placed on your file.
  • Replace your ID cards like health, driver's license, or SIN by calling 1 800 O-Canada. An agent will be able to direct you to the appropriate federal and provincial organization to replace each of your cards.
  • If your mail is missing, contact Canada Post at
  • Contact each organization that provided the identity thief with unauthorized credit, money, information, goods or services in your name, and ask them to investigate the occurrence as well as cancel and close all fraudulent or affected cards or accounts.
  • For advice on privacy issues related to the identity theft (PIPEDA) contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (1-800-282-1376 or
  • To help stop fraud, be sure to report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC). The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre gathers information and intelligence about identity theft and provides advice and assistance to victims. (1-888-495-8501)

Be sure to record the steps you've taken to report the fraudulent use of your identity.

The resource referenced below includes a chart to help you.

For information on debit card fraud and credit reports, contact the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada at 1-866-461-FCAC (3222) (pour les services en français: 1-866-461-ACFC (2232)) or visit their website at

Related Resource: 

Was this helpful?

Was this helpful?

We cannot respond to your question or comment without your email address. We will not share any information you provide us with anyone.

No need to provide your address but knowing your location will help us serve you better.

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.