A project of CLEO, Your Legal Rights is a website of free legal information for people in Ontario. This site has free, practical, and easy-to-find legal information produced by hundreds of organizations across Ontario.
The Your Legal Rights site contains the following features:
- Resources: Legal information covering a wide range of legal topics, in a variety of formats, and available in dozens of languages
- Common Questions: Questions and answers to everyday legal problems
- Find Services: Interactive map of key legal and social services across Ontario
- Training: Public legal education training webinars for service providers
- News & Events: The latest headlines and community events about the law and access to justice
The foundation for the "Your Legal Rights" portal was the high-quality, extensive collection of legal information resources and news produced by organizations and legal clinics across the province, formerly known as CLEONet.
From April to August of 2009, CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario/Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario) conducted a review of recent research and a series of consultations exploring the form and shape of a comprehensive legal information website for the public, building on the CLEONet site launched in 2005. While many organizations across Ontario are engaged in producing critically needed legal information, our research and consultations demonstrated that there was no single site that contained accessible and accurate information on a wide range of legal issues, designed to help the public understand their legal rights, in multiple formats and languages.
A report released on October 28, 2009, summarized the key findings, discussed existing initiatives that could be built on and possibly partnered with, and outlined key next steps. For more information, visit Exploring the Expansion of CLEONet: Final Project Report to The Law Foundation of Ontario (PDF, 497.7 KB).
CLEO encourages anyone who is interested in making suggestions or giving feedback on the report, or in getting involved with the Your Legal Rights project, to contact us.